logo

Update on my status with eoCMS (any why I'm posting so much)

So, I work, when they need help, for a web developer that handles lots of personal and small business accounts.

For the most part, they've used Joomla almost exclusively, but the gripe I kept hearing is that for simple sites, its a LOT more work than it needs to be. In my opinion, Joomla is great for a heavy usage eCommerce site, but total overkill for anything under a couple dozen pages.

Since I'm the type that doesn't mind testing things (I spent several years as a manual quality assurance tester for a living), I did a round to find interesting, or undervalued 'smaller' CMS's, which is how I found this.

Since it's straight-forward php, without a ton of special functions to learn (it has them, but most are simple, not 'special').. I talked it over with the guys, and it looks like we're going to be seriously considering eoCMS for new sites where we don't need a 50mb package that takes several hours to get installed and set up.

Now, the caveat. The last release was a long time ago, and the SVN is quite buggy. Most of it isn't game-breaking stuff, it's little things. There's just too many little things to really put it into production for us. I'm not saying you guys do bad work, its just that there's a lot of polishing that needs done to get this place more attention, and really make it "everyone's CMS".

So, it comes down to course of action. There's two clear-cut paths to take.

Option 1: We fork the SVN tree, and create our own CMS. This has it's upsides and downsides. Upsides being we'd have access to our own latest branch, as well as easy access to update it with fixes. Downsides being it really wouldn't help the community since we wouldn't go through the trouble of a whole CMS release page.

Option 2: We have our own internal testing copies, and submit everything here to be included or fixed in the trunk. This would help eoCMS along, and gets it more polished, which should also attract new users.. and we don't feel bad if we aren't really inclined to create a site like eocms.com.

If you haven't seen my posts, I've chosen Option 2.

I'm doing rounds on the code, breaking things, updating things, fixing things, tweaking things... and as I find things that are of value, or fix bugs, I'm 'spamming' the boards. Not really 'spam', since its 1 post per 1 issue... its just I'm posting the issues as I find them.

Since I realize development time, especially of free projects, it based on developer free time, wherever and whenever I can, my posts are including the fix or tweak or whatever needs done for whatever I find. I'm not trying to step on toes, I'm trying to help get things done and move the project along. Wink

Now I feel slightly better, since I've explained why I'm posting so much.. and off to my text editor again so I can go back to breaking things and figuring out how I broke it, and how to fix it.... I think I may look into column widths next...
eoCMS Designer
eoCMS Designer
haz_pwnd_u@yahoo.com
Re: Update on my status with eoCMS (any why I'm posting so much)

Hey FWishbringer,
First I would like to say thank-you for taking the time to explain yourself, even though you really don't need to.  I'm positive that no-one here feels like their toes are being stepped upon, I know we all look at it more like an extra helping hand.  Your posts on bugs and other issues are always welcome here.
eoCMS Designer
eoCMS Designer
tbarkass_willamson@hotmail.com
Re: Update on my status with eoCMS (any why I'm posting so much)

I agree. Someone from the outside who can find errors amd (even better) provide fixes can only be a good thing.

Seen a bug? Report it!

Jump to:

0.05 seconds Queries: 13