logo

eoCMS Developer
eoCMS Developer
New theme system discussion

Brad, banancanard and I have been discussing ideas for the new system. Currently, in 0.9 it is quite weak and not that great to work with.

This is what we came up with:
- Scrap theme function files, move them all into one file to make reading easier
- Keep theme() and use it to make it easier to tell what the function is
- Move all Layout files into the theme folders
- Keep the use of variables instead of echo as it it still faster, however we are still discussing exactly how they will be set, most likely through a function such as theme('set_title') (current is $title) and theme('append_head') (current is $head) etc
- Keep the theme-info.php
- All current normal functions ie that use call() that have lots of HTML for example the function which outputs the comments, move them to a theme function, so themes are more flexible.
- Plugins... we have all agreed that their layouts should remain within the plugins' folder to try and keep everything in the same place, however to open more flexibility, add the ability to overwrite the Plugin layouts with one in a specific theme, very similar to how to overwrite the default layouts with a theme specific one in 0.9

Current idea is to use an OOP based model, but not actually physically use a class, just functions.
Last Edit: 29th October, 2009, 11:52:19 PM by confuser

Please do not PM me requesting support or anything, use the forums, thats what they are here for
eoCMS Designer
eoCMS Designer
tbarkass_willamson@hotmail.com
Re: New theme system discussion

I agree with all of the above, but:
From a layman's point of view (as I probably am one Tongue), I'd like to see:
A dedicated application of some sort that will allow people to create or modify themes themselves - after all, we do claim to be 'Everyone's' CMS, and not everyone is ept in CSS. I understand that the actual creation of graphics is a bit of a grey area with regards to our end of theme creation, but that's another story.
The other thing is that I would like to see some more flexibility in the way the themes are actually made themselves. The number of times in creating energyblue I had to abandon an idea because, for example, the breadcrumb uses the same class as body text (it doesn't, but for the sake of argument let's say it does) was quite amusing.
The flip side to that is that if every single thing on the page has it's own class, the creation of a theme would be (and is) a daunting task, not to mention the fact that it would probably take ages.

In terms of the layout files being moved into theme folders, it's a Tick from me, but I'm still wanting to see how we can get away from the traditional:
!__ ! ______!___!
!____________ !
layout (hey, that isn't bad Tongue), and move to pastures new. So far it feels like it's been this way since day one, and indeed eoCMS has been designed - rightly or wrongly - around functioning so long as a theme of this shape is used. People who want to do something more radical with their sites - maybe have the navbar "along the bottom" Surprised, or even along the top of the screen as in http://iamalivegame.uk.ubi.com/ - the navbar stuck to the top of the page and the footer stuck to the bottom, are going to be hard pressed to find a solution. I have no doubt it could be done but I watched confuser help me get the bottom background to work on energyblue the other week, and that took a while and involved quite a reasonable amount of coding and editing of layout and css files.
Other than that I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about so I'll shutup.

Seen a bug? Report it!

My main thing I want to achieve is make it MUCH easier to rearrange elements on the screen, so its simpler to create unique layouts. (IE http://eopanel.eodivision.com/forum)
eoCMS Designer
eoCMS Designer
haz_pwnd_u@yahoo.com

My main thing I want to achieve is make it MUCH easier to rearrange elements on the screen, so its simpler to create unique layouts. (IE http://eopanel.eodivision.com/forum)

God yes! What Tom said is true too.  We've always done that shape and if you're like me and don't particularly care for that shape then the CMS is a turn-off.  That's not good, we need to be more versatile with themes and easier to understand, like Tom said not everyone is great with css and coding.
Last Edit: 23rd June, 2010, 06:47:59 PM by Jake

Jump to:

0.06 seconds Queries: 13